Dear Designated Authorities dealing with NRF Scholarships and Fellowships
The NRF is pleased to announce the call for applications for master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral scholarships and fellowships for the Scarce Skills Development Fund for 2012. No 2013 applications will be considered for this call.
Potential applicants that are currently registered for a master’s, doctoral or post-doctoral degree/study in the following specific fields of study are encouraged to apply:
· Management: Financial Management
· Financial sector: Accounting, Auditing, Statistics, Actuarial Science
· Biological sciences: Biotechnology
· Physical sciences: Mathematical Sciences, Physics, Geology, Computer Science, Information Systems, Chemistry
· Engineering (all fields)
· Sector specific: Agricultural Sciences, Transportation Studies, Tourism, Demography
All applicants, should only complete an application if they meet all the eligibility criteria of the call/ programme to be considered.
This call will give preference to candidates meeting the gender and equity targets, listed below:
¨ Black students (African, Coloured, Indian) 85%
¨ Women students (African, Coloured, Indian, White) 54%
¨ Students with disabilities (African, Coloured, Indian, White ) 4%
How to apply for funding:
Applicants can apply by following the steps below:
· Applications must be submitted through an online application process to the National Research Foundation (NRF).
· Carefully read through the Scholarships and Fellowships funding manual
(extract from the Manual p6-8)
· Only South African citizens may apply.
· • Applicants must have obtained an aggregate of at least 60% for the Honours/final year BTech subject(s) they are pursuing for Master’s study, ditto for PHD.
· • Applicants must have obtained their previous degree in the minimum prescribed period. An exception is made for Black (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) students who may have taken an additional year to complete the previous degree.
· • Applicants who already hold a qualification at this level are not eligible to apply.
· • Applicants must complete the CV section of the application form on the NRF Online system. If the CV section of the application is not completed the application will be considered incomplete.
Accounting, actuarial sciences, agricultural sciences, auditing, biotechnology, chemistry, computer sciences, demography, engineering
(all fields), financial management,geology, information communication technology, mathematical sciences, physics, transportation studies, tourism and statistics.
· Applicants can apply for the Scarce Skills Development Programme by accessing the link: http://phoenweb.nrf.ac.za/FPF2
· Register/Login using your email address and password.
· Select create new application from the list of existing calls.
· Select the call for which you are applying to: Scarce Skills Scholarship 2012
· Select Apply now.
· Remember to complete all sections of the application.
· Important: Remember to invite your referees by selecting the invite button on the application.
· Please attach the necessary documents in one pdf file in the following order: Certified copy of ID document, certified full academic transcript, proof of registration (if applicable)
· Should you not follow the guidelines for attaching the necessary documents your application will not be considered.
· Remember to submit your application on completion.
· Complete applications will go to the host university for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing.
· Incomplete applications will not be considered.
· Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered (please refer to funding manual and call document for details on eligibility for the scarce skills development programme).
· Please contact the university post graduate office or research office if you have any queries.
· The closing date for submitting applications is 30 June 2012.
NB !!! Please check with the university where you intend registering for their internal closing date as this will be prior to the dates listed above.
No late or incomplete applications will be accepted
We would very much appreciate it if you could advertise the above and disseminate the information within your institution.